It just required the fuses to be replaced and the new cable runs that I did the other day to be rejoined with proper cable connecting clips. I also re-wound the tape round a few of the older (but as far as I know, non functioning) cable joins, just to be sure.
Tested the connections with a multimeter to ensure I hadn’t stuffed up and joined the common to the power circuit by mistake (I hadn’t) and then did some test runs.
And blow me down if it doesn’t all work. I replaced a few old and crap sprinklers with new pop-ups and thats it, job done.
Tomorrow, the adventures of the world’s most boring man continues with weed and feed and preparing the ground for grass seed. Go me.
Think I’ll go out and take some photos tomorrow, its been a while.
No, not a song by Peter Gabriel, but my own attempts at turning the back garden into a scene from Time Team.
Spent yesterday digging up the back garden to try to make sense of the irrigation system. First, I fixed the broken pipe and sprinkler – a five minute task made much harder as its not obvious in the shop which parts go with what. I got there in the end.
I now have an archaeological dig of a garden, complete with exploratory trenches. All I’m missing is a seismic survey report and some broken pottery.
So, I’ve randomly found a blue control wire (which I know is important, as I found it in another part of the garden and when I fixed a break in it, the irrigation started to work again), a solenoid valve (used to control where the water comes on from the main control station), doubled up pipes and also a vanishing pipe (is in one trench, but has vanished by the time it should have hit a second trench – where it goes and why is anyone’s guess)
I’m kinda resigned to the fact that I shall have to unearth the whole damn system before I know how it works. I have my suspicions (for the record) that the non functioning sprinklers are on a separate control station, but I haven’t found the solenoid valve that controls that yet.