It’s been a busy week at work, my poor little brain has been working overtime to finish the things that I need to do for the project I’m working on. Too much work and no play makes Charlie a dull boy.
Anyway, its been a good few weeks – we finally ripped up the skanky old carpets from the formal lounge, family room and bedrooms and replaced them with a solid Mari wood floor. It’s beautiful and has totally transformed the look of those rooms.
Been a busy boy this week – managed to get a few things done from the list
Fixed the leaking hot water relief valve. Well, thats a slight untruth – one of my friends who had some spare PTFE tape and a spanner put the new valve on for me. I could have done it, but I’d just spend a fortune on tools and didnt want to buy a wrench just for that one job.
Uncovered another solenoid valve in the garden – the mystery of the reticulation continues – one of the wires was broken but fixing it didnt wake it work. However, removing the inspection screw and allowing water to escape from the top of the solenoid valve made the non-functioning sprinklers work. Go figure.
Have no idea what that means or how to fix it. I might just cut the bloody thing out of the loop and be done with it – I’m not sure I need another working station in the back, it can all run off the one circuit and I’ll throttle the individual sprinklers as needed to adjust the flow.
The good news is I can put most of the garden back now, fill in all the holes and settle and fix all the remaining sprinklers. Its just a matter of chopping the valve out and gluing in a new T section. Easy job.
Weed and feeded (fed?) the front lawn last night. Its quite a big area and used an entire 11kg bag of the stuff. However it was a bit windy and I managed to snort 1/2 the bag up my nose like Amy Winehouse on a coke bender. I hope Ammonium Sulphate isnt toxic, cos all I can smell now is eggs and cleaning products. **sniff**
I sat down to think about this last night and its a bit of a long list
1. re-do family bathroom. remove the wall between the loo and the bathroom, block up old loo door, put in new windows (glass blocks I think, rather than window panes)
2. re-carpet, or more likely, wood floors down throughout the house. The slate floor is reasonably new but I don’t like it and the other carpets are old and need doing asap
3. re-lay the lawns. The grass is old and crap. need to fix the reticulation first – work in progress, only a few more poppers and pipes to dig up, then I’ll get to the bottom of the non-functioning ones.
4. painting. the rest of the house, particularly the glosswork needs to be repainted. meh.
5. flowerbeds and tidying up. probably do this in fits and starts – have cleared the front in preparation for this, just need to edge the new flowerbeds and plant some new flowers.
6. Front door. I’d like a new one.
7. outdoor shower. I’d like to build a small glass block enclosure to replace the crappy wicker one I tore down.
8. put pictures up. This needs doing yesterday. I have so many laying about the house and I still havent gotten around to putting them up. Mostly cos I need picture wire and I have no idea where to get it.
9. Redo the ensuite. really just needs a new suite and a retile, no layout or functional changes. Not a big job, but one that needs to be done to freshen the place up
10. lastly, the patio. Its old, uneven and a bit crap – I’d like to re-do it, perhaps with a nice deck and some tasty LED recessed lights and stuff.
So, thats the main list of jobs – all of which require time and most importantly, money, which I don’t really have *sigh* bathroom and lawns first.