Posted on October 23, 2010
Yes, a winter of leaving the garden alone means I now have to spend the spring getting it sorted.
All the little jobs that would have been ‘easy’ are now kinda bigger and more involved. Well, they’re probably not, its just hotter and sweatier out there!
The plan for the spring is as follows
Some of these tasks are easy – I can probably do the first 2 today, and the washing line is easy but a brutal physical job. The decking is very involved and requires a lot of clearing and thinning of trees before I can even start.
I cleared the huge pile of cuttings from earlier in the year, the irrigation is all working, the grass is in better shape than last year (but still rough in places) and the pot plants are nicely established, so the garden is starting to feel a little bit more under control at last.
And now, lunch, then sand and varnish the patio furniture.
Posted on October 8, 2009
I sat down to think about this last night and its a bit of a long list
1. re-do family bathroom. remove the wall between the loo and the bathroom, block up old loo door, put in new windows (glass blocks I think, rather than window panes)
2. re-carpet, or more likely, wood floors down throughout the house. The slate floor is reasonably new but I don’t like it and the other carpets are old and need doing asap
3. re-lay the lawns. The grass is old and crap. need to fix the reticulation first – work in progress, only a few more poppers and pipes to dig up, then I’ll get to the bottom of the non-functioning ones.
4. painting. the rest of the house, particularly the glosswork needs to be repainted. meh.
5. flowerbeds and tidying up. probably do this in fits and starts – have cleared the front in preparation for this, just need to edge the new flowerbeds and plant some new flowers.
6. Front door. I’d like a new one.
7. outdoor shower. I’d like to build a small glass block enclosure to replace the crappy wicker one I tore down.
8. put pictures up. This needs doing yesterday. I have so many laying about the house and I still havent gotten around to putting them up. Mostly cos I need picture wire and I have no idea where to get it.
9. Redo the ensuite. really just needs a new suite and a retile, no layout or functional changes. Not a big job, but one that needs to be done to freshen the place up
10. lastly, the patio. Its old, uneven and a bit crap – I’d like to re-do it, perhaps with a nice deck and some tasty LED recessed lights and stuff.
So, thats the main list of jobs – all of which require time and most importantly, money, which I don’t really have *sigh* bathroom and lawns first.