waterworld

Irrigation, reticulation, sprinklers, watering, call it what you will, its all the same and I flimmin’ well hate it.

So, after getting a new pump for the bore, it turned out the pump relay was also busted (probably happened as the old pump burned out) so that needed a sparky to come out and replace it – simple job actually, but not one I could (or would be allowed, regulations here being what they are) sort.

So, with working pump again, all the sprinklers were working, except the troublesome single station from before. It took a few hours of buggering about with the retic repair guy, changing cables, wires, testing with multimeters, changing solenoids, cleaning valves etc before we kinda diagnosed the problem.

Problems, actually.

The wiring is crap – each of the control wires for the other 4 stations has power when they shouldn’t
Theres no separate common for the valves, just, it seems, a shared one for the pump.
None of the wires to the troublesome 5th solenoid seem to work at all.

So, to fix it – I need to run a new cable from the control box to the 5th solenoid with a new common and new control wire. 30 metres of it, up the wall, along the garage roof, down the wall, along the bottom of the fence for 20 metres and into the valve.

Then, just need to rejig the order the valves are wired into the controller, put the last of the turf back and its done. And I’ll be $1000 poorer.

And then there’s the aircon, which I suspect isn’t working because the ducting has come away from the bottom of the evaporative housing.

Contourhouse

I’ll take a look, but I bet I’ll have to call someone out.. *sigh*

bore-ing

So, the pump is shot. have to get a new one at a cost of $650

meh.

The rest of the system looks to be in good shape now – just need to sort that one solenoid (now I know how – just unscrew the center pin and it opens the valve up – job done.

Good news though, is by Tuesday, hopefully this will all be fixed so I can get on with the task of feeding and regrowing the grass 🙂

FAIL

I give in, I’ve called an irrigation expert to come round this afternoon – the pump packed in today *sob*

Thats pretty much everything mechanical in the house thats been replaced or fixed so far!

bore-dom

I think I wrote about this before.. The bore packed up working at the very end of last summer – suddenly the pump was only pumping air and the grass had a few weeks of cooking (from which is hasnt really recovered over the winter)

A few attempts at restarting the flow of water earlier in the year had no effect, but I finally got it working today.

You have to run water into the inspection valve in the pump body with a hose to refill the pump and, depending on the specific arrangement of valves and pipes, the bore shaft itself.

Then (advice from fellow photographer – Tristan – thanks!) run the pump in short bursts, refilling the pump and bore to allow the head of water to be drawn back up the bore and expelling the air. Eventually, after a good few bursts or water and pump runs, the water started gushing out of the pump inspection valve and the irrigation came on. yey!

Spent the next few hours digging up the pipework to try to work out where the pipes run in order to fix a couple of non working pop-ups. Not easy as this was all laid 15 years ago and is no buried 2 feet under tree roots and stuff. Have hard hands now – callouses and everything!

Was a good day though 🙂 back to work tomorrow – poo!